Khalid Osman is currently serving as Corporate Level Director of Information Technology and Transmission Compliance with Cube Hydro Partner since 2017. Responsible for directing company policy and staff development and regulatory compliance. Over ten years of experience managing corporate projects. Worked for major corporate companies including Shell Oil, Caterpillar, and Alcoa Inc.
Overall 12 years of experience in the field of Engineering and Management with a heavy focus on project delivery.
- Electrical Grid Development and Improvement
- Process Improvement including Six Sigma and Lean manufacturing concepts
- Systematic Cost Reduction and Capital Control
- Projects Management
- Staff Development
- Power Grid reliability
- Electrical Grid Project Marketing
- Siemens Academy Power Certification
- Alcoa Inc Leadership Program graduate
- Shell Oil Training
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering with honor, U.S.A.
- Master of Business Administration, Washington State University with concentrating in Marketing, U.S.A
Director Of Information Technology and Transmission Compliance
December 2018 – Present
Manage NERC compliance program through the organization
Set strategy and policies for Cyber Security programs
Set strategy for the Information Technology department
Represent Cube Hydro in external regulatory efforts
Experience in transmission planning requirements including interconnection agreements.
- Planning Engineer
February 2017 – December 2018 (1 year 11 months)
Manage Cube Capital projects including project funding, contractor selections and HSSE
Experience with NERC utility audits requirements and overall compliance, Plan transmission line expansion project including new generations, transmission lines, Manage Interconnection agreements according to FERC/NERC requirements
Experience with solar projects including studying MWs additions, inverters specifications, utility requirements
Plan system outages including coordination’s with utilities for system ranging from 13.8 Kv up to 161 Kv
6 years 9 months, Planning Engineer January 2016 – December 2018 (3 years) Knoxville, Tennessee Area
- Project Manager
April 2014 – May 2016 (2 years 2 months) Knoxville, Tennessee Area
Responsible for Projects Management of 161KV transmission lines, substation management, and four hydro generation units totaling about 210MW of generation
Act as Subject Matter Experts (SME) for NERC 693 standards and represent a compliance team during SERC Audits
- Leading an effort to ensure existing department procedures comply with NERC , NFPA 70E and NEC standards
Responsibility for electrical maintenance for existing and new equipment including CTs, relays, and other equipment
Managing Alcoa contractors to ensure projects are completed on time and within budget according to Alcoa HSSE process and standards.
Experience in setting up and managing capital projects from design stage up to the execution stage.
Experience in performing Hazard analysis for projects execution plan and assigning mitigation plan to address these hazards.
- Compliance Engineer
2013 – 2014 (2 years) Knoxville, Tennessee Area
– Ensure utility compliance with NERC standards
– Act as Subject Matter Expert (SME) in NERC 693 audits
– Support Alcoa Power overall compliance program
- Reliability Engineer, Transmission System Engineer
April 2012 – April 2013 (1 year 1 month) Knoxville
- – Representing Alcoa as a Subject Matter Expert during Southeast Reliability Electrical Council (SERC) audits.
– Ensuring Electrical System Reliability through monitoring system performance including nearby utilities tie-in, analyzing outages affects on the reliability of the electrical system using Power System Simulation for Engineers- PSSE
– Leading an effort to ensure existing department procedures comply with NERC , NFPA 70E and NEC standards
– Responsibility for electrical maintenance for existing and new equipment including CTs, relays, and other equipment
– Managing Alcoa contractors to ensure projects are completed on time and within budget according to Alcoa HSSE process and standards.
- Shell Oil Company
Project Engineer-Electrical and Automation, Shell PipeLine Company, SPLC August 2007 – July 2011 (4 years)
- – Managing head office electrical projects including budget planning, FEED work and working with contractors to implements projects while meeting Shell and Industry safety standards(NEC, API standard) Experience in low and medium voltage installations up to 41.6KV
-Managed the construction of two 150K barrels Crude Tanks expansion projects for Shell Pipeline company in Pasadena, TX including all valves installation, pipes and electrical installation
– Liaising between both the internal and external stakeholders.
– Contributing to strategy formulation and forward planning as a member of the management team.
– Initiating the project, defining project scope and preparing the project plan.
– Knowledge of HSSE requirements, Hazards Identification in Oil and Gas Projects
- Caterpillar Inc
Project Engineer Intern May 2006 – August 2006 (4 months)
• Worked with the Marketing team to identify potential market for new products based on sale data and markets need
• Provided monthly reports for upper management regarding products sales and technical reviews
• Implemented Six Sigma methodology into department process
• Six Sigma yellow belt certified Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- Electrical Engineer Intern
May 2006 – August 2006 (4 months) Virginia Tech Internship, National Science Foundation Scholarship
North Carolina A&T State University
- Research Engineer
January 2005 – May 2006 (1 year 5 months) www.ncat.edu
Researched the area of autonomous control, Genetic Algorithms, and control design using MATLAB. Worked with graduate students in the following
• Worked in designing voltage regulator from concept to implementation
• Participated in strategic planning for project funding with other graduate
students including PHD’s candidate
- •Co-authored a technical paper for the Center of Power Electronics (CPE)
Human-Machine Movement Simulation
GPS Guided Airplane Navigator