Economic and financial appraisal of projects in various economic sectors such as agriculture, energy, water and sanitation, transport, and infrastructure, throughout Africa, the Middle East, Latin America, and Asia.
Adil H. Elsharif Suliman
Block 10, Street 17, villa 24, Kuwait – Jabria
D.O.B October 3, 1963
Place of birth Khartoum, Sudan
Languages Arabic, English
Marital Status Married
- 2007: Ph.D. Finance, Minor in International Economics, University of Texas, Texas, USA.
- 1995: M.Sc. Accounting, West Texas A&M University, Texas, USA.
- 1987: B.Sc. Mathematical Economics and Industrial Math, University of Poona, India.
Academic Career Summary
- 2016-present, Leading Economic Analyst, Kuwait Fund for Arab Economic Development
- 2008-2015, Assistant professor, Gulf University for Science and Technology, Kuwait
- 2007/2008, Adjunct, University of Texas, (UTRGV), Texas, USA.
- 2002/2004, Instructor in Accounting Program, South Texas Colleges, McAllen, TX. USA.
Leading Economic Analyst, Kuwait Fund for Arab Economic Development (2016 -Present):
- Economic and financial appraisal of development projects in various sectors including health, education, energy, water, transport, communications, industry and rural development projects in many developing countries.
- Provides critical data to technical team during project evaluation and implementation.
- Research and analysis the budget and do financial forecasting and finanical evaluation for project units that implementing and maintaining the project.
- Project evaluation and monitoring to ensure compliance with public regulations and policies and performing data analysis relevant to project
- Provide substantive research, analytical, and statistical assistance in support of the Representative and Fund teams, with strong focus on (i) macroeconomic monitoring, with special emphasis on fiscal issues; (ii) financial sector issues; and, (iii) other sectoral issues.
- Responsible for the design and maintenance of relevant data basis related to the economic, social performance of the country and project that under assessment.
Chief Financial Officer, Waste Management Inc, Saint Louis, Missouri, USA (1999-2002)
- Develops finance organizational strategies by contributing financial and accounting information, analysis, and recommendations to strategic thinking and direction; establishing functional objectives in line with organizational objectives.
- Establishes finance operational strategies by evaluating trends; establishing critical measurements; determining production, productivity, quality, and customer-service strategies; designing systems; accumulating resources; resolving problems; implementing change.
- Develops organization prospects by studying economic trends and revenue opportunities; projecting acquisition and expansion prospects; analyzing organization operations; identifying opportunities for improvement, cost reduction, and systems enhancement; accumulating capital to fund expansion.
- Develops financial strategies by forecasting capital, facilities, and staff requirements; identifying monetary resources; developing action plans.
- Monitors financial performance by measuring and analyzing results; initiating corrective actions; minimizing the impact of variances.
- Updates job knowledge by remaining aware of new regulations; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Accomplishes finance human resource strategies by determining accountabilities; communicating and enforcing values, policies, and procedures; implementing recruitment, selection, orientation, training, coaching, counseling, disciplinary, and communication programs; planning, monitoring, appraising, and reviewing job contributions; planning and reviewing compensation strategies.
Accountant, Medical Waste Management, Saint Louis, Missouri, USA (1998-1999)
- Using both financial systems and data elements to actively interpret and review financial results, including trends, issues, and opportunities to drive actionable responses.
- Monitoring monthly progress against budgets/targets, and work with business managers to ensure accountability while assisting them in identifying the most efficient and effective ways to invest company’s resources.
- Participating in the development of budgets that incorporate strategic business plan objectives along with appropriate assumptions, to assist business managers in budgeting and forecasting processes.
- Performing and overseeing information validation to ensure data quality for use in analysis and decision-making processes and in processing journal entries and budget transferring process.
Accountant and Financial analyst, Magna Analytical Service Company, Springfield, Illinois, USA (1996-1998)
- Track expenses and revenues vs. budget and reforecast and analyze fluctuations, and prepare monthly consolidation and executive financial reports
- Prepare quarterly operating reports, and assist in the budget & reforecast process and maintaining budget and reforecast information in the accounting system
- Evaluate profit and cost efficiencies in various areas of the organization as needed, and develop, maintain and distribute as-hoc reports and financial models to different level of organizational mangers
Publications and Manuscripts
Suliman H. Adil, Mohammed Shariff, Almutairi Humoud and Khaled Elmawazini (2019) “Private Capital Inflows, Stock Market and Demand-side Macroeconomic Policy: Evidence from Former Soviet-bloc Countries” European Journal of Comparative Economics, 16, 1, 69-79.
Suliman H. Adil, Elian, I. Mohammad and Hamid Ali (2018)” Endogenous Specification of FDI and Economic Growth: Cross-Economies Evidence” accepted Forthcoming International Journal of Business, 23, 1, 177-200
Sawalha, N. Nabeel, Elian, I. Mohammad and Suliman, H. Adil (2015) “The Impact of Capital Flows on Economic Growth for The World Developed and Emerging Markets” Journal of Developing Areas.
Elian, I. Mohammad and Suliman H. Adil (2015)” Capital Flows and The Openness-Growth Nexus: Toda-Yamamoto Causality Modeling, Journal of Developing Areas, 42, 1, 1-16.
Suliman, H. Adil, Ghosh Dipasri and Almutairi Humoud (2014)”Exchange Rate and Capital Flows: The Gulf Region Experience” The International Journal of Finance, 26, 2, 1-27.
Elian, I. Mohammad and Suliman H. Adil (2014) “Does an Emerging Equity Market Stimulate Long-Term Economic Growth? Evidence from Jordan “International Journal of Business, 19, 3, 291-309.
Suliman, H. Adil and Elian I. Mohammad (2014)” Foreign Direct Investment, Financial Development and Economic Growth: A Cointegration Model” Journal of Developing Areas, 48, 3, 219-243.
Suliman, H. Adil, Khaled Elmawazini and Mohammed Shariff (2015) “Exchange Rates and Foreign Direct Investment: Evidence for Sub-Saharan Africa” Journal of Developing Areas, 49, 2. 1-27
Khaled Elmawazini, Suliman, H. Adil, Pran Manga and Peter Drucker (2013) “Trade Globalization, Financial Globalization and Inequality within South-East Europe and CIS Countries” Journal of Developing Areas, 47, 2, 303-317.
Suliman, H. Adil and Hamid Ali (2012) “Exchange Rate and Exchange Rate Volatility and Foreign Direct Investment: Evidences from Africa Franc Zone Countries” The International Journal of Finance, 24, 3, 7406-7427.
Mohammed Shariff, Jamal Khasawneh and Suliman H. Adil (2012) “Future of Neurofinance and Behavioral Finance in Classroom” The International Journal of Finance, 24, 2, 7200-7208.
Sawalha, N. Nabeel, Zaitouni Michel and Suliman, H. Adil (2012) “Corporate Culture Dimensions Associated with Organizational Commitment: An Empirical Study” Journal of Applied Business Research, 28, 5, 957-976.
Sawalha, N. Nabeel, Zaitouni Michel, and Suliman, H. Adil (2011) “Employment Practices and Organizational Commitment: Kuwait Perspective” International Journal of Business Management, Vol. 6, No.6.
Publications and Manuscripts under Review
Suliman, H. Adil “Private Capital Inflow and Stock Market Development Roles in Economic Development in Gulf Countries, Submitted to journal of policy modeling.
Suliman, H. Adil “Relationship between Foreign Direct Investment and Real Exchange under Economic Reforms in Sudan, Submitted Journal of Development and Economic Policy
Conferences and Presentations
Suliman H. Adil “Corporate Culture Dimensions Associated with Organizational Commitment: An Empirical Study“, Allied Academies International conference, Orlando, Florida USA.
2011, April 6-8.
Suliman, H. Adil “Exchange Rates System and Foreign Capital: Evidence for sub-Saharan Africa”. Financial Management Association International (FMA) NY, NY, USA, 2010, October 20-23.
Suliman H. Adil “Modeling of Real Exchange Rate and Exchange Rate Volatility in CFA Franc Zone: Evidence on Causality”, African Econometric Society, Fifteenth Annual Conference, American University in Cairo, Egypt. 2009, July 7-9.
Suliman, H. Adil “The Impact of the Relative Prices on Foreign Direct Investment in Sub-Saharan Africa”. The International Academy of Business and Public Administration Disciplines (IABPAD), Spring Conference, Dallas, TX, USA, 2008, April 22 – 25.
Suliman, H. Adil “Employment Practices and Organizational Commitment: Kuwait Perspective”. The International Academy of Business and Public Administration Disciplines (IABPAD), Spring Conference, Dallas, TX, USA, 2006, April 22 – 25.
Suliman, H. Adil “The Impact of Relative Prices on Foreign Direct Investment in New Emerging Market Countries”. Southwest Decision Sciences Institute, Houston, Texas, USA, 2005, March 4-8.
Suliman, H. Adil, Teofilo Ozuna, and Jerry Prock “Currency Substitution and Inflation: Evidence from Emerging Countries” Southwestern Finance Association 2004. Dallas, Texas, USA, March 3-4
Conference Session Chair and Discussant
- Southwest Decision Sciences Institute, Houston, Texas, USA, 2005, March 4-8. (Chairman)
- African Econometric Society, Fifteenth Annual Conference, American University, Cairo, Egypt. 2009, July 7-9.
- Kuwait Foundation for the Advancement of Science (KFAS) and Sri International, Kuwait, 2013, October 27-30.
Educational and Management Programs and Software
- Microsoft Project management software: dealing with the main modules of Microsoft Project include project work and project teams, schedules and finances, setting up realistic goals for project teams and customers by creating schedules, distributing resources and managing budgets.
- P2ware Project Manager 7: Product-based Planning Technique (PPT) software that empowers resource management cost control, assigns risk owners and plan risk counter measures.
- Moodle Teaching Software: is a Learning Management System (LMS) that provides educators with tools such as resources, forums, quizzes, assignments, learning objects, surveys, polls, data collections, lessons, wikis and projects.
Awards and Honors
- Certificate of appreciation from Islamic finance club in Kuwait, 2013.
- Certificate of appreciation Gulf University for Science and Technology, Kuwait, 2011.
- Faculty excellence award from South Texas Colleges, McAllen, Texas, USA, 2007.
- Certificate of appreciation form university of Texas international student association, Edinburg, TX, USA, 2007.
- Certificate of teaching Excellency, Texas Institute for environmental sciences, Dallas, TX, USA, 2006.
Association and Membership
- Academy of International Business
- Southwestern Finance Association
- International Trade and Finance Association
- Southern Economic Association
- Association for Budgeting and Financial Management
Teaching Related Experience
- AACSB accreditation process: strategic planning processes, assurance of learning process, eligibility application and self-evaluation report, final draft for accreditation process.
- Coordinator for associate degrees of applied science in accounting, South Texas Colleges McAllen, TX. USA.