Hatim I. Elsayed Mohamed. PhD in Smart Energy Systems/Online Power Electronics (2014), MSc in Information Engineering/Control Engineering (1995), City University of London, and BSc (honors) in Electrical Engineering, University of Khartoum(1988). Senior Member in the IEEE, USA, Chartered Engineer (CEng) with the British Engineering Council and member in the IET, UK. Chartered Electrical Engineer with working profile in the generation, transmission, distribution power utilities & energy-consulting firms, Specialized in planning, design, installation, commissioning, operation, control, analysis, maintenance planning, outages management, asset management, demand forecast. Applied R&D and know-how in power systems, control systems. dynamics, power electronics, smart grid and renewable energy.
Int`l Consultant Canada, Montreal · 29 Oct. 2019–Present
Consultancy services in interconnection, planning, design, studies, projects, analysis, operation, control of electricity transmission, distribution, and generation.
The main Client is Sudanese Electricity Transmission Company (SETCO), Sudan/ Key Studies:
- Sudan-Egypt Interconnection Project, SETCO
- STATCOM Specification Guidelines, SETCO.
- Scope for Transmission Operation and Planning Studies, SETCO
- Scope for Feasibility study for Expansion and Interconnection “Techno Economic Analysis, SETCO.
- Electrical network design for Hayat Annubala Office Real Estate Project, Nairobi, Kenya
- Qatar National Research Fund. Online review of research projects, Qatar, Doha
- Publons Researcher Web of Science.Groub
- Electrical network design for Hayat Annubala Office Real Estate Project, Nairobi, Kenya
GULF COOPERATION COUNCIL INTERCONNECTION AUTHORITY- INTERCONNECTION CONTROL CENTER
Dammam, KSA · 15 July 2014–29 Oct. 2019
Consultant (15 July 2018-29 Oct. 2019),
Special Assignments for the C-level on the technical and strategic projects and interconnections,
- Dynamic Reactive Power Compensation in EWA Network
- Iraq-Kuwait Interconnector Project
- Digitalization of Energy Sector (Artificial Intelligence, Big Data, Blockchain), GCCIA-ONS, GO-15 Joint Study
Head of Operational Planning (15 July 2014-14 July 2018)
Manage the operation planning and annual maintenance plan of 400 kV GCC transmission Interconnector assets and HVDC (Frequency Control and the Dynamic Reserve Power Sharing functions), to provide quality services within available resources. Deliver technical expertise for conducting and evaluating 2-year systematic transmission operational studies.
Key Projects (KSA):
- GCCIA and MS Transmission Operation Consultancy Services for the years 2018-2019.
- Feasibility Study of the GCCIA Interconnector Expansion 2016/17.
- GCCIA and MS Transmission Operation Consultancy Services for 2015-2017. Team Leader
- Frequency Control Project for 50/60 Hz HVDC between KSA and GCC Member States. Project Leader (witnessed the RTDS FAT).
- Transmission System Protection Study and Settings.
- Wide Area Monitoring (WAMs) PMUs Operation and Upgrade.
- Transmission Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) maintenance. Department KPI Champion (2014-2016)
- Business Continuity Plan and Quality Management System Projects.
- Contributed to team efforts by accomplishing operational planning of the GCCIA, 400 kV network and the back-to back 50/60 Hz HVDC converters, generation scheduling, and units’ commitment in collaboration with the Operational Planning departments and Control Centres of the GCC Member States.
- Led the team to deploy the Frequency Control Project for 50/60 Hz HVDC between KSA and GCC Member States.
- Study manager for GCCIA and MS Transmission Operation Consultancy Services 2016/17.
- Manager for Quality Management System (ISO 9001:2015) Development and Implementation.
- Completed the feasibility study for the transmission network expansion and solar plant scenarios
QATAR GENERAL ELECTRICITY & WATER CORPORATION · Kahramaa, Qatar · 27 Aug. 2003–01 July 2014
A/Head of Transmission Planning/ Senior Transmission Planning Engineer & Transmission Planning Engineer
Planning of the transmission network expansion, generation integration, and the new connections demand to domestic, commercial and industrial customers. Independently performed transmission systems engineering work and ensured that studies, plans and demand forecast meet quality objectives.
Key Projects & Contributions (Qatar):
- 5-years transmission functional network development plans and studies
- 5-years transmission demand forecast
- Connection of Ras Girtas Power Company Ltd-RGPC IWPP Plant (2700 MW, 63 MIGD).
- Connection of Mesaieed Power Company Ltd- MPCL & RAF-B2, IPP, IWPP Plants
- Generation Forecast advisory group and stakeholders with Corporate Planning & Business Development Dept.
- Utilities Interface Agreements Committee for Kahramaa, Ras Laffan Industrial city, QP, Oil & Gas.
- Performance Measurement Analysis and Benchmarking Study.
- Team Leader & Quality Management Representative. ISO 9001:2008, QMS.
- Asset Management Strategy & Implementation Group Member.
- Initiated in 2005, the concept of 400 kV network in Qatar Transmission System that enhanced the steady state and dynamic Operation.
- Introduced in 2012 a concept to connect solar panels and battery storage, in one substation.
- Led a team that Implemented and certified the Planning Dept. in ISO QMS (ISO 9001).
Abu Dhabi Water & Electricity Authority and Al Ain Distribution Company · ADWEA-AADC, UAE · 01 July 2000–10 Aug. 2003
Head of Strategic Planning & System Studies Unit, Asset Management Department (Distribution)
Managed the system short, medium and long term Master Plan including load forecast for different sectors, power network expansion, planning criteria, network modelling, system studies, MVAr compensation scheme. Planned the distribution network expansion, to meet the projected 5-years demand.
Key Projects & Contributions:
- 5-years distribution master plan
- Transmission substations planning with the Transmission Company
- Distribution substations planning and reinforcement,
- Network Model development & Load Despatch Center Project
- Factory Acceptance Testing (FAT)
- Completed the distribution master plan for the future development and reinforcing the distribution network.
- Proposed criteria of new transmission substations to meet future transmission & distribution demands.
- Developed part of the transmission and distribution network models.
- Implemented and certified the Asset Management Dept. in the Quality Management System (ISO 9001)
Mott Macdonald Consulting (MML) Group-Incorporated Ewbank Preece· Abu Dhabi, UAE, Brighton, UK · 25 Jan. 1993–30 June 2000. SITE Resident MANAGER /Commissioning RESIDENT Engineer, Planning & Coordination Engineer, Electrical/Control Engineer.
Responsible for the projects specification and design review at the Power Generation Division (1993-1996, UK) and Managed site supervision of the substation projects at the Power Systems Division (1996-2000, UAE).
Key Projects & Contributions:
- Al Ain Power System Master Plan Study, UAE.
- Ruwais/Zakher/Rameh 220/33 kV and W16 132/11 kV substations, UAE.
- Mirfa Power/Desalination Plant, 220kV GIS Extension/Al Mirfa/Al Ain 33kV Power Distribution Networks, UAE.
- Shoaiba, Phase 2 – Power and Desalination Plant, KSA.
- Faisalabad & Kotri Combined Cycle Power Plants, Pakistan.
- Khartoum North Power Station-Phase III, 60 MW Extension, Sudan.
- Thames Barrier Control Systems Refurbishment, London.
- Banjarmacine Transmission Line Study Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition, Indonesia.
The Engineering Circle Ltd. (TEC)· Khartoum, Sudan, Brighton, UK · Aug. 1990-Jan. 1993.
Khartoum North Power Station project. Electrical Project Engineer
- Kept records of O&M for electrical/I&C contracts (Phase-I),
- Supervised construction activities (Phase-II)
- Pre-feasibility study at Mott Macdonald UK, office (Phase-III).
National Petroleum Corporation Libya – The Higher Consulting Committee for the Execution of Brega New Town Project Brega, Libya, · April 1989-July 1990. Electrical Project Engineer
Managed the electrical, telecom and I&C EPC for on-shore projects for town buildings, oil & gas facilities.
Education & Membership
PhD in Electrical Engineering (Smart Online Energy Systems-Power Electronics FACTS & HVDC)
The City University | London | 14 June 2014
Masters of Science in Information/Control Engineering
The City University | London | 20 Nov. 1995
Bachelors of Science (Hons) in Electrical Engineering
University of Khartoum | Sudan | 28 Nov. 1988
Member of the IET, UK- CEng, MIET, 1999
Senior Member (SMIEEE) of the IEEE, USA, 2005
Full member: Cigre working group
WG: C4.44 ‘EMC for Large Photovoltaic Systems’-2017-2018
PSSE Course by PSC (Power Systems Consulting)
22-26 April 2018, at GCCIA HQ, Dammam, KSA
Workshop on optimising the generation mix and RES Integration
By Fabian Georges Elia Grid International 25 April 2018, at GCCIA HQ, Dammam, KSA
ISO 9001:2015 Certified Lead Auditor Course (QMS-LA), 08-12 April 2018, at GCCIA HQ, Dammam, KSA
By IRCA, MEQMP Quality Management Professionals,
CIGRE Group B4, GCCIA, HVDC Workshop, BAHRAIN 1st and 2nd April 2018
Power System Blackouts, Restoration and Troubleshooting Course, 22-26 November 2017, Bahrain
By Dr. Atif Debs, Decision Systems International, USA via KLC Consulting
GCCIA Electricity Market Design Workshop- Markets, Products, Regulatory Environment, GCCIA Market Trading Platform design, GCC Market Development, 19 October 2017, GCCIA, HQ
Wide Area Monitoring System with the Theme ‘Practical Experience of WAMS Utilization towards Secure and Reliable Network Monitoring’, 13-17 November 2016, Bahrain
PowerFactory, Power System Stability 17-19 Oct 2016, Dynamic Modelling Workshop 20-21 Oct 2016, DIGSILENT-Gormaringen, Germany
Problem Solving & Decision Making, 23 May 2016, GCCIA HQ, Dammam, KSA
Capacity Building in PSS/E Dynamics for GCCIA and the Member States, 27-31 Dec. 2015, GCCIA HQ, Dammam, KSA
Setting Priorities, Time Management and Stress Reduction Managing Stress and Pressure at Work, Dubai15-19 Nov 2015, Dubai, Oxford Management Centre, Glomax
Power Systems Stability & Control, GCCIA, Dammam 22-26 March 2015, by Prof. Prabha Kundur, Dammam, KSA
Phasor Management Units (PMUs) Training by Alstom, GCCIA, Dammam 8-12 March 2015
Documents Control System, 21-23 Dec 09, Doha, Qatar
ISO 9001:2008 Internal Quality Management Systems– Auditor Training, 06-07 Oct 09, Qatar
PSS/E Access Database & Automation Tools, April-May 2009,- PB Power, Qatar
PSS/E Transmission Planning & Steady State Studies, April-May 09, – PB Power, Qatar
PSS/E Dynamics Studies, April-May 2009- PB Power, Qatar
EMTP/ATP Studies, April-May 2009- PB Power, Qatar
PBViews application software, Actuate Performance Business Views Training, 18-19 Feb 08, Qatar
EGEAS, workshop by EPRI, NG Planning, Generation Capacity Planning, 26-29 Nov 07, Qatar
Siemens, PSS- SINCAL, V5.3, 4 days, 7-10 May 2007, Qatar
PSS/E- Introduction to Power System Stability & Dynamics- 3 days, 7-9 April 2005, Qatar
PSS/E- Introduction to TPLAN-OPF- 3 days, 3-5 April 2005, Qatar
PSS/E- Optimal Power Flow-OPF- 3 days, 7-9 March 2005, Qatar
PSS/E- Analytical Methods for Voltage Control & Reactive Power Planning-5 days 6-10 Feb5, Qatar
PSS/E- Introduction to Dynamic Simulation-5 days- 9-13 Jan 2005, Qatar
PSS/E- Introduction to Power Flow and Steady State Analysis, 5 days, 5-9 Dec 2004, Qatar
Maximo, CMMMS (Computerized Materials & Maintenance Management System), UAE
Introduction to Visual Basic language Programming, Computer Centre- UAE University
Introduction to Java language Programming, Computer Centre- UAE University
Introduction to ESRI GIS 8.1, UAE
ESRI GIS 8.1, Arc Viewer, Arc Info., Facility Siting, FM designer and GIS Interface to Cyme analysis software, UAE
ISO 9001:2000 Introduction to Quality Management System – QMS, UAE
BS EN ISO 9001:2000 Internal Quality Management Systems – Auditor Training, UAE
BS EN ISO 14001 Environmental Management Systems, UAE
OHSAS 18001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Systems, UAE
Oracle 9i PL/SQL Developer Certified Professional-OCP. Completed test#1Z0-001 out of 3, 2003, UAE
Microsoft Certified System Engineer (MCSE- Windows 2000), July 2003, UAE